Four ways to improve the performance of a trading advisor
“The robot merges” is the most frequent commentary on almost every algorithmic program. But after all, developers who publish advisors for free would hardly offer a knowingly unprofitable product. And maybe the problem is not in the robot, but in those who use it? After all, the market situation is changing, which means that the optimization of the trading advisor must be carried out constantly. But for some reason they forget about it, because than fixing something, it’s easier to say – it doesn’t work.
Optimization of a trading advisor
These options for optimizing a trading advisor are also suitable for manual trading. They do not affect code changes and customizations.
If the test results are negative, then there are several options for the development of events:
- Optimization of a trading advisor by changing its settings. An option for those who have time, as they will have to be changed again later.
- Adding indicators. True, they can lead to even more negative results. And not everyone is ready to spend time on their selection.
- Testing a new trading system.
All options have a right to life. But there is one more group of methods that allows not so much to change the work of an advisor as to find its strengths. This can be done with the help of MyFxBook – a service that shows trade statistics on history in different sections.
- Removing extra pairs… Diversification is good, but each pair has its own volatility. Therefore, the results will be different. Therefore, we launch the advisor for a period of 5 years and look at the statistics on profitable trades for each pair. It’s about the balance of the number of transactions and profitability. There are many profitable trades, but the trader almost got into a loss – the pair is excluded.
It also makes sense to analyze the statistics for long and short deals. It is possible that the advisor opens many more profitable trades for growth or decline. So the point is to drive it in both directions?
- Choosing the optimal time… This can be a specific day of the week, time of day (type of session), etc. We look at what moments the largest number of deals is opened, look for a pattern, check it on a real account. MyFxBook allows you to open daily, hourly, etc. charts.
- We exclude volatile moments… Force majeure happens when statistics and news are released. Brexit, Trump’s election, the actions of the Swiss Central Bank – you can make money on such events, but you can also get a loss. If we are talking about minimizing risks, then we exclude trading at such moments.
- Changing the approach to the trading system… We are looking for cyclicality, changing the lot size, etc.
Such optimization of a trading advisor allows you to better understand how it works. If all else fails, change the trading system or switch to manual trading. In short, be patient! And may everything work out as a result!